Friday, October 02, 2009

Relaxing? Not Quite

Upon deciding to take today off yesterday after work, I thought it would fit the fairly typical mould--catch up on rest, do some reading, look over that magazine that I purchased a week ago.

Instead, I got up at 8 and moved furniture, completely rearranging my house.

Of course the exercise started rather innocently. At some point this weekend, I was going to have to clean the house, and this train of thought naturally led to the consideration of the underused space that is my office. My main problem was seating--a very nice desk actually lacked a chair of any kind, and there was literally nothing else to sit on in the room unless one counted the floor. I was sitting on the couch in the living room when I thought this out, and it didn't escape my notice that a chair, purchased as part of a set with the said couch, sat infrequently used on the other side of the room.

Hmmmmm.....maybe I could move that.....

My first attempt was entirely unsuccessful. The chair had legs screwed onto the bottom, and with this attached, it was impossible to push the chair through the doorway into the office. After removing them, the job transformed into a breeze, and the chair was reassembled in the office.

I tried to place the chair against the different, available walls in the room. None of them offered an ideal location, and most made the new addition appear out of place in its new environment. This made moving the office furniture around a necessity, the desk, filing cabinet, and stereo system took entirely new places in the room.

And then, naturally, the living room had to be reorganized to make up for the large, open space that the chair left behind.

I stopped short of wallpapering that section under the window in the kitchen that has been bothering me....just barely.

14 comments:

Barbara Bruederlin said...

Oh yes, the domino game that some call a house! I know that phenomenon only too well.

Thank god you didn't dust anything, because that opens up a whole new can of worms.

The World According To Me said...

Hello

I'm loving your writing. I'm going to make a hot chocolate and read some more.

Not such a relaxing day for you though.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

A bad idea to start doing that!!

AZ said...

I remember when I was a kid my mom used to rearrange the furniture all the time, and she still does it. You women........
: )

Frogs in my formula said...

You remind me of myself. I start small then end up doing something monumental. Not so relaxing!

Meg said...

Maybe now you can relax. Just don't go in the kitchen.

Kat said...

While not exactly relaxing in process, a newly laid-out house can be quite invigorating. Well done!

The villager: said...

I hope you can find at least a little time to relax !

Jennifer Fabulous said...

Wow. It's so easy to get caught up in rearranging isn't it? I'm like that with cleaning. Once I start, I want to clean EVERYTHING, even stuff that I already cleaned. Lol. It's great you're motivated to stuff like that. :) But I think you deserve a break now. Read your magazine and enjoy a cup of tea!

speculator said...

Nice to find your blog.
A professional pilgrim! Wow.
I'm a pilgrim-off-the-clock.

Re-arranging a living space is a great way to start fresh without having to move. Good luck with all the strategizing.

Farnnay said...

Sometimes i want to rearrange every single thing in my house. but im just so lazy.

Farnnay said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mrs. Cullen said...

i LOVE rearranging furniture =)

booda baby said...

Ha! I myself am not a furniture re-arranger. Ever. For some reason, I could care less. However, A. IS and he invariably signs me up to assist him and every single time - EVERY time - it turns into the same crazy ass ordeal. Frankly, it's about the same effort as moving (although, I admit, it always looks better.)