Monday, October 09, 2006

Self-Styled Converse and Life Progress

I like to talk to myself in the car. I have a long drive to work now, so I do need to amuse myself given there are only so many ways for me to get to Plymouth from here in southern RI. I, like most people, tend to listen to music. I'll play the radio, as far as morning talk shows allow for any songs to fit between their meaningless commentary, and both my CD player and my iPod are armed for times when cruising through the channels only lands you back on the first one you started from even though your high-tech radio can pick up at least one channel for every stop on the dial. However, there are times when I just turn it off and start talking.

I think I picked up this tendency from my father. Every now and again, I catch him in the middle of a conversation on his own, and this has been the case for a number of years running. He'll be bringing up only half-audible points and using hand gestures. I always wondered what he was talking about. For me, I do the same but only when I am absolutely assured of being alone.

I have no idea if my father and I are really doing the same thing, or if we have different purposes for the same method of behavior. When I do it, it is usually to organize my thoughts. I have found that I tend to have a lot to say to people sometimes, and I like to think it through before I say it. Therefore, I have discovered that I am actually carrying on about five or six discussions with people who will never know they are the subject of such long explanations or statements given fairly often, I may not choose to pursue the discourse with them in the end.

Ok, now for some more interesting stuff:

Yes, I did finish my dissertation.
Word Count: 21,000
Footnotes: 310

I flew out of Manchester Airport for the last time on Saturday, September 22 at 11 am.

I have been re-employed at Plimoth Plantation for the time being and am now part-time participating in a music group there called The Puritones.

I did buy the new Indigo Girls CD, Despite Our Differences. I think it's pretty good, but I do not like it as much as their last, non-compellation work, All That We Let In. There are a few solid, well, written songs there in the tradition of their longer-standing and more well-known music, but nothing that completely jumps out at you. I am slightly disappointed by that because I have been anticipating this one for some time.

I have lost five pounds on what I can only call the "Plantation Diet," which consists of what I can afford on my current salary.

I finally hit up Yankee Candle and ransacked their store for fall-esque scents.

How much I am appreciating minutae...

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Back in the usa. feels good to be working and starving, living the american dream...

M@ said...

Lucky you in New England right now!

Nihilistic said...

Just in time for Winter too! Ughhh

M@ said...

Dude, people have told me at different times that I talk to myself, especially when under the influence of caffeine!

I want to try this bit someday. Get into a crowded elevator that's taking a while, say:

"Oh, boy. Hope I'm not talking to myself again. Hate that. So embarrassing. [Humming.] Pick up the dry cleaning when I get home. --Oh, she cute!"

But when I'm in the car I jam! I mean, people stare at me b/c they think I should turn down my stereo but I'm NOT trying to impress any one, least of all some fugly woman giving me a dirty look. That's just how I enjoy my life. That's how I roll, son.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Sorry you've left us in England!

Anonymous said...

Welcome to North America. And you're so close ... I will extend an invitation to come see the softer side of Montreal.

Winter Holidays are glorious here. The lights, the snow the festivities...

Wow 21,000 words. I've never written anything that BIG YET...

very impressive you should be very proud.

Thanks for writing.

Jeremy

Ms. Malnick said...

Ah, hence you wear a costume to work. (You came back to the states for this??) Good luck, pilgrim!

Sunshine said...

I'm more stuck on the 310 footnotes? Geez!

I have enough trouble writing a 10 page paper...

Congratulations, though.

Anonymous said...

It's very nice to have you back home.... :)

M@ said...

At least you enjoy intelligent conversation, eh?

captain corky said...

Nice to see you back!

M@ said...

i'm sorry. i think i left a nasty-snarky message on your blog the other day. god speed!

Anonymous said...

Hello and welcome back!! Congratulations on getting the dissertation done. As for the conversations with yourself-to me thats normal! My folks live 3 hours away (on a good day of course) and I've been able to solve many problems on the drive-talking animately, using hand gestures as needed. During the week though, when I commute via train, I must keep my mouth shut (or attempt to) while conversing with myself. Unfortunetly my brain has forgotten to tell my hands a time or two and have flung out like a spasmatic something or other!! Quite embarrassing!!